Näätämöjoki River is situated in the eastern part of the Inari municipality, north of Lake Sevettijärvi. The river is born in Iijärvi and runs into the Arctic Ocean on the Norwegian side. Näätämöjoki is an ideal destination especially for fly fishers.
The efforts to safeguard and grow the salmon stocks of Näätämöjoki are based on having an adequate spawning stock and limiting the number of fishing permits. The fishing regulations at Näätämöjoki have been tightened with regard to all forms of fishing in both Finland and Norway. These measures aim to maintain the viability of the river's valuable natural salmon stock and secure the possibility to fish at one of our grandest salmon rivers long into the future.
The Näätämöjoki permit area is divided into three different fishing zones (pools) with limited numers of permits. The number of available permits varies depending on the season.
NB! There is a new restricted area in zone 1, downstream from Lake Opukasjärvi. The area is show on the maps. However, fishing in this area is allowed still during summer 2020.
ZONE 1. Näätämöjoki: National border - Lake Opukasjärvi. Fishing period: 10.6. - 31.8.
- 10.6. - 5.7. 270 fishing days
- 6.7. - 16.8. 200 fishing days in a week (Mon-Sun)
- 17.8. - 31.8. 340 fishing days
Cancelled, unsold and unclaimed permits for Zone 1 are no longer moved back into the sale to be sold in July.
ZONE 2. Silisjoki: Opukasjärvi - The lowest Silislompolo. Fishing period: 1.7. - 10.8.
Permit quota: 120 fishing days. No daily quota.
ZONE 3. Näätämöjoki Opukasjärvi - Ijärvi/Vaijoki. Vaijoki: until the mouth of Nikulasjoki. Fishing period: 10.6. - 31.8.
Permit quota: 370 fishing days. No daily quota.
Purchasing a permit
The number of permits issued for the Näätämöjoki recreational fishing area is limited, please check the availability of permits prior to your trip.
Note! If you have ordered your permit by phone during the advance sale period, you must ensure that the permit is paid for in full by the due date indicated on the invoice.
If you are ordering a permit for more than one person by phone, make sure that you have the addresses and birth dates of all the persons at hand when you make the call. This ensures that the purchase transaction will not be interrupted.
- €25-30 / day
- Zones 1 and 2: €30 / day
- Zone 3: €25 / day
Permit days begin at 6 PM.
All persons under 18 years of age receive a 50% discount on the permits and persons under 15 years of age are allowed to share the same fishing quota, with permission from their parent or legal guardian.
A family permit is also available for this destination. In this context, a family consists of children under 18 years of age and their parents/legal guardians. Married couples and couples in a civil union may also purchase family permits. The family permit costs twice as much and its fishing quota is twice as large.
Where to purchase A permit
You can pay licences using the most common payment methods in the online store (verkkokauppa.eraluvat.fi).
Metsähallitus' fishing permits may also be purchased by phone. The service is open on
weekdays from 9 AM to 4 PM.
Permit terms for the area10.6. – 31.8. Permit days begin at 6 PM.
- Allowed methods: Lure and fly.
- The permit does not grant the right to fish in the private waters within the permit area.
- Fishing with a boat or an outboard motor that does not belong to a person who permanently resides within the Näätämöjoki fishing area is prohibited.
- Fishing in Näätämöjoki requires that all fishing gear has been disinfected and that the angler has a certificate to prove it. See the information on disinfection stations from below in the Extra information.
- The use of a bait fish in hook & line fishing, ice fishing or lure fishing is absolutely prohibited in the municipalities of Upper Lapland (Inari, Utsjoki, Enontekiö) as per a Decree from the Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry (no. 1376/2004, 31.12.2004).
Catch quotas and catch reports
- Day permit: 1 salmon
- Female salmon over 60 cm long must be released back into the water after 1 August.
Starting in 2020, catch reports for this permit area are submitted by answering a fishing survey conducted by Metsähallitus and Natural Resources Institute Finland. You can access the survey via your Eräluvat web shop customer account (section Order history). You will also receive a reminder via email.
Catch sizes and protection periods
The following catch sizes and protection periods for fish species are in effect for this permit area:
|Fish species||Catch size||Protection period|
|Trout||At least 50 cm||1.9.–30.11.*|
|Grayling||At least 35 cm||No protection period in this permit area|
|Salmon||At least 30 cm||1.–31.8. for female salmon whose size is over 60 cm|
*During the protection period of trout fishing is not allowed in the permit area.
Fishers must observe the catch sizes and protection periods mandated in the Fishing Decree for other fish species.
Services in the area
Näätämöjoki can be reached via marked trails:
- Trail from the village of Näätämö to Kallokoski rapids.
- Trail from the south side of Jäniskoski bridge (parking area) to Saunakoski Rapids via Lake Nälkäjärvi.
- Trail to Kontinpaistama rental cabin that begins from a parking area located 10 km into the direction of Näätämö from Lake Sevettijärvi
- Trail from Lake Sevettijärvi to Lake Opukasjärvi.
Disinfection of fishing tackle
Fishing in Näätämöjoki requires that all fishing gear has been disinfected and that the angler has a certificate to prove it. Disinfection stations that offer these certificates:
- Sevettijärvi: Reindeer farm Toini Sanila, Sevettupa Oy,
- Inari: Fish harbour
- Utsjoki: Permit vendors along the Tenojoki River
Metsähallitus owns rental cabins in Silisjokisuu (Lake Opukasjärvi), Kontinpaistama, Saunakoski and Kuosnijokisuu. There are also several maintained campfire sites in the area, and an unlocked wilderness hut in Opukasjärvi.