A beautiful chain of small lakes, streams and rapids in the nearly uninhabited wilderness of Kainuu. The water system originates in the historical region of Viena in Russian Karelia.
Roaring rapids, open lakes and tranquil forest ponds await the angler in Yli-Vuokki. The lakesand ponds are rich in perch, pike-perch and pike – pretty big ones too! The rapids are home to spot-sided trout and shiny, silver grayling. Most of the rapids and other waters in the area are easily accessible via a comprehensive network of roads.
Lake Kevättijärvi is a part of the permit area and the lake's fish stock has been reinforced with plantings of brown and freshwater trout for a number of years. Now the lake is abundant with great, catch-sized salmonids! Kevättijärvi is also a great place for catching sizable perch. The best way to fish is to use one's own row boat, which can be launched from the site designated on the PFD map (natural boat ramp). There are also a couple of rental boats that may be rented from the Ala-Vuokki general store (more information can be found in the Services section).
Purchasing a permit
- €13 / day
- €40 / week
All persons under 18 years of age receive a 50 % discount on the permits and persons under 15 years of age are allowed to share the same fishing quota, with permission from their parent or legal guardian. For fishers under 15 years of age who intend to fish alone, a one week's fishing permit is available free of charge at the Eräluvat online store.
A family permit is also available for this destination. In this context, a family consists of children under 18 years of age and their parents/legal guardians. Married couples and couples in a civil union may also purchase family permits. The family permit costs twice as much and its fishing quota is twice as large.
Where to purchase A permit
You can pay licences using the most common payment methods in the online store (verkkokauppa.eraluvat.fi).
Metsähallitus' fishing permits may also be purchased by phone. The service is open on
weekdays from 9 AM to 4 PM.
With the Eräluvat app, you can purchase angling permits easily and quickly. You can pay with a debit or credit card. Read the instructions for using the app.
As of 1 January 2020, mobile permits are no longer available. This is due to mobile network operator’s decision not to provide the current service anymore.
Kontiomäki: Kainuun Tähti Oy (Neste Kontiomäki service station)
Suomussalmi: TB-Turjanhovi (service station)
Permit terms for the areaCalendar year. Trout fishing is prohibited in running waters and rapids sections between 1.9.–30.11. Grayling fishing is prohibited between 1.4.–31.5.
- The permit grants the right to lure fishing (lure, fly, jig), hook and line fishing and ice fishing.
- By decision of the Lapland ELY Centre (2280/5710/2015), general fishing rights (hook and line fishing, ice fishing, lure fishing under the fisheries management fee) do not apply at the following water areas: Kevättijärvi, Taivallampi, Louhenjoki, Louhilampi, Palokoski, Paasonkoski, Saarikoski and Saapaskoski. The purpose of the decision is to secure the economic use of fish stocked into the area's waters. In addition to the aforementioned prohibited water areas, simply paying the national fisheries management fee does not grant the angler the right to fish in the area's running waters or rapids.
- Artificial baits are prohibited.
- Each angler is permitted to use one rod or line when fishing from the shore, anchored boat or the ice. The rod must be within the angler's reach at all times (= max. 2 metres away from the angler). Leaving a rod to fish by itself is prohibited. When trolling without a motor, anglers are permitted to use two rods per angler.
- Fishing with your own boat, a rental boat or flotation device is permitted. The use of an outboard motor is permitted on the lake waters of the permit area. However, only electric outboard motors are allowed in Kevättijärvi.
Catch quotas and catch reports
|Day permit||1 trout or lake salmon. In Lake Kevättijärvi, at maximum 10 perch / day.|
|Week permit||1 trout or lake salmon / day|
No quota for other species.
Once you have finished fishing, you must submit a catch report at www.tuikki.fi.
Catch sizes and protection periods
The following catch sizes and protection periods for fish species are in effect for this permit area:
|Fish species||Catch Size||Protection period|
|Trout with adipose fin||At least 60 cm||In rapids and running waters 1.9.–30.11.|
|Trout without adipose fin||At least 50 cm||In rapids and running waters 1.9.–30.11.|
|Grayling||At least 35 cm||1.4.–31.5.|
|Landlocked salmon||At least 60 cm||In rapids and running waters 1.8.–30.11.|
|Perch||At most 35 cm in Lake Kevättijärvi*||No protection period|
*A maximum size has been set for perch caught in Lake Kevättijärvi. Fish larger than this size must be released back into the water. Read more about the background for using maximum size limit.
Fishers must observe the catch sizes and protection periods mandated in the Fishing Decree for other fish species.
Services in the area
Boats for fishing in Lake Kevättijärvi may be rented from the Ala-Vuokki general store (K-Mäkeläisen pojat Ky, Kuhmontie 311, Suomussalmi). The store is open from 9AM to 5 PM from Monday to Friday and from 9AM to 1 PM on Saturdays. The prices are €15/day and €45/week. For more information on the rental boats, contact Saku Mäkeläinen at +358 40 5881271.
Rental cabins are also available along the Yli-Vuokki recreational fishing area: Lomarengas
If you are interested in catching perch, Yli-Vuokki is a particularly tasty destination. Kevättijärvi and the other lakes and smaller ponds in the permit area are home to very sizable specimens. Anglers have caught big perch even in the area's tiniest ponds, as well as in the larger lakes.
The area's ponds are best fished using small and small-ish jigs weighing 5-7.5 grams. In the winter you should try a balance lure.
Big perch can be extremely passive at times and refuse all treats offered to it. In these situations a grub jig the colour of motor oil might just be the lure that saves the trip.
The rapids Paasikoski, Palokoski, Saapaskoski and Saarikoski are stocked with catch-sized brown trout during the summer season. Lake Kevättijärvi is stocked with 2-3-year-old brown and freshwater trout, and many of the area's other lakes are stocked with fry-sized grayling and whitefish.