Fishing brown trout on a wilderness lake in the middle of the realm of forest reindeers is possible at Iso-Koirajärvi, in the Salamajärvi national park. The scenic and clear-watered lake with its craggy beaches and islands is perfect for fishing and forgetting your daily worries. Brown trout and whitefish have been stocked in the lake for the fishers to catch. In addition, it is possible to catch a large perch or pike. Besides fishing, the many services available in the national park and at Koirajärvi offer plenty of wilderness experiences for the whole family.
New combination permit available
There is a new day permit available for the area, a Koirajärvi-Heikinlampi combination permit, which allows fishing at Koirajärvi and at Heikinlampi which is part of the Kaunislampi 6567 permit area. The combination permit does not allow fishing at the other waters of the 6567 permit area. Please familiarise yourself with the map of the permit area.
Purchasing a permit
- €12 / 3 h
- €18 / day
- €90 / week (mobile permit not available)
- Koirajärvi-Heikinlampi combination permit €25 / day (mobile permit not available)
All persons under 18 years of age receive a 50 % discount on the permits. Persons under 15 years of age are allowed to share the same fishing quota, with the permission of their parent or legal guardian. For fishers under 15 years of age who intend to fish alone, a one week's fishing permit is available free of charge at the Eräluvat online store.
A family permit is also available for this destination. In this context, a family consists of children under 18 years of age and their parents/legal guardians. Married couples and couples in a civil union may also purchase family permits. The family permit costs twice as much and its fishing quota is twice as large.
Where can you purchase A permit?
You can pay licences using the most common payment methods in the online store (verkkokauppa.eraluvat.fi).
Metsähallitus' fishing licences may also be purchased by phone. The service is open on
weekdays from 9 AM to 4 PM.
As of 1 January 2020, mobile permits are no longer available. This is due to mobile network operator’s decision not to provide the current service anymore.
Koirasalmi Nature Information Hut: Luonnollisesti M&M
Möttönen: A&P Taipale Oy
Permit terms for the area1.1.–31.12.
- The permit allows lure fishing (lure, fly, jig), angling, and ice fishing.
- The Koirajärvi 6566 angling permit or Koirajärvi-Heikinlampi combination permit is required for all fishing. General fishing rights (angling, ice fishing, lure fishing with the fisheries management fee) are denied with the decision of the North Savo ELY Centre (2198/5710-2015) for the purpose of securing the economic use of the fish stocks.
- The use of all types of artificial lures (lure, fly, jig) is permitted. The use of natural baits (grubs, shrimp, bait paste, etc.) is also permitted.
- Fishers are allowed to use two fishing rods and lines, of which the other can be a so-called ootto fishing rod, when fishing on ice. During open water season, fishers can use one fishing rod or line that is either in hand or nearby (max. 2 metres away). Leaving the rod alone for fishing is forbidden.
- When trolling without a motor, each angler is allowed two rods/lines.
- Scuba fishing and the use of a harpoon are prohibited.
- An angler may use his or her own boat, but they must pay a fee for its use equal to the price of a rental boat.
- The use of an outboard motor (including electric ones) is prohibited.
- Using a flotation device is permitted.
- The isthmus between the lakes is a no fishing zone.
- Please note! If you are fishing on ice with both an active rod (ice fishing) and with an ootto rod, the fisheries management fee must be paid. The fisheries management fee is required in open water season when fishing with throwing fishing tackle. The fisheries management fee is required from fishers between the ages of 18 and 64.
Catch quotas and catch reports
|3 hour permit||1 salmonid|
|Day permit||2 salmonids|
|Koirajärvi-Heikinlampi combination permit (day permit) *)||3 salmonids|
|Week permit||2 salmonids / day|
*) Three salmonids in total are allowed as catch from Koirajärvi and Heikinlampi.
Catch quota does not apply to whitefish.
Once you have finished fishing, you must submit a catch report at www.tuikki.fi. All caught and released fish must also be reported.
A fisher can catch the number of salmonids set in each permit type. Regardless of the combination of permit types, the daily maximum amount is two salmonids per day, with Koirajärvi-Heikinlampi combination permit three salmonids per day.
Catch sizes and protection periods
In Koirajärvi Lake the minimum catch size of brown trout is 40 cm (Section 37 of the Fishing Act, exceptional permit).
Fishers must observe the catch sizes and protection periods mandated in the Fishing Decree for other fish species.
Services in the area
Boats may be rented from the Koirasalmi Nature Information Hut. Rental prices in 2019:
- €10 / 3 h
- €15 / 9 h
- €20 / 24 h
The Koirasalmi Nature Information Hut also offers lodging and food services etc. For more information, visit www.koirasalmi.com.
Network of trails with duckboards, campfire sites with lean-to shelters and a cooking shelter for anglers, hikers and families alike.
Plantings of catch-sized trout and fry-sized whitefish.