Lake Pyhäjärvi rests between the Pyhätunturi and Aakenustunturi Fells and its extremely clear waters offer great surroundings for finding the large trout and char hiding in the lake's depths. Lake Pyhäjärvi has a surface area of 90 hectares and at its deepest point it is over 30 metres deep. A trail encircles the lake and the river in the north end may be crossed by ferry. There is a ramp in the north end of the lake for launching your own boat. The most popular fishing method at Lake Pyhäjärvi is ice fishing in late autumn at first ice and then again in the spring. The best times for trolling and casting are early in the summer just after the ice has melted and late autumn just before the lake freezes over.
Purchasing a permit
- €10 / 3 h
- €12 / day
- €35 / week
- €60 / season
All persons under 18 years of age receive a 50% discount on the permits and persons under 15 years of age are allowed to share the same fishing quota, with the permission of their parent or legal guardian. The family permit costs twice as much and its fishing quota is twice as large.
Where to purchase A permit
You can pay licences using the most common payment methods in the online store (verkkokauppa.eraluvat.fi).
Metsähallitus' fishing permits may also be purchased by phone. The service is open on
weekdays from 9 AM to 4 PM.
With the Eräluvat app, you can purchase angling permits easily and quickly. You can pay with a debit or credit card. Read the instructions for using the app.
As of 1 January 2020, mobile permits are no longer available. This is due to mobile network operator’s decision not to provide the current service anymore.
Kolari: Hansport (sporting goods store)
Äkäslompolo: Yllästunturi Visitor Centre Kellokas (nationalparks.fi)
Sirkka: Levin Matkailu Oy / Levi Tourism Information
Permit terms for the areaCalendar year
- Each angler may use one rod or line when fishing from the shore or the ice, and the rod or line must remain within the angler's reach at all times.
- When trolling without a motor, each angler is allowed 2 rods or lines.
- The use of an outboard motor is prohibited (including electric outboard motors).
- Storing your own boat in the area is prohibited.
- In order to fish in Lake Pyhäjärvi, you need this specific permit. The right to fish in the lake is not included in the Metsähallitus national angling permit, the national fisheries management fee or everyman's fishing rights (the rights to hook and line fishing and ice fishing).
Catch quotas and catch reports
|3 hour permit||1 salmonid|
|Day permit||3 salmonids|
|Week permit||3 salmonids / day|
There are no catch quotas for whitefish.
Catch sizes and protection periods
The following catch sizes and protection periods for fish species are in effect for this permit area:
|Fish species||Catch Size||Protection period|
|Trout with adipose fin||At least 50 cm||No protection period in this permit area|
|Trout without adipose fin||At least 50 cm||No protection period in this permit area|
|Grayling||At least 30 cm||No protection period|
Fishers must observe the catch sizes and protection periods mandated in the Fishing Decree for other fish species.