Manamansalo is an island with road access situated in the middle of Lake Oulujärvi, which is also known as
the "Sea of Kainuu". The recreational fishing area of Manamansalo is a part of the Oulujärvi Hiking Area,
which in turn is a part of UNESCO's Global Geoparks Network. Terrific sandy beaches, easily traversed pine
heath forest, crystal clear ponds and a five star camping area make Manamansalo the favourite destination
among anglers of all ages.
The permit area contains ten separate ponds that are home to perch, whitefish, grayling and trout. In the waters of Särkinen you can also go after rainbow trout, which is planted into the lake catch-sized. The nearest fishing spots are situated within only a few minutes' walk from the camping area. We invite you to experience the top-tier services and clear fishing waters of Manamasalo!
Purchasing a permit
- €12 / 3 h
- €18 / day
- €90 / week
All persons under 18 years of age receive a 50% discount on the permits and persons under 15 years of age
are allowed to share the same fishing quota, with permission from their parent or legal guardian. For fishers under 15 years of age who intend to fish alone, a one week's fishing permit is available free of charge at the Eräluvat online store.
A family permit is also available for this destination. In this context, a family consists of children under 18 years of age and their parents/legal guardians. Married couples and couples in a civil union may also purchase family permits. The family permit costs twice as much and its fishing quota is twice as large.
Where to purchase A permit
You can pay licences using the most common payment methods in the online store (verkkokauppa.eraluvat.fi).
Metsähallitus' fishing permits may also be purchased by phone. The service is open on
weekdays from 9 AM to 4 PM.
With the Eräluvat app, you can purchase angling permits easily and quickly. You can pay with a debit or credit card. Read the instructions for using the app.
As of 1 January 2020, mobile permits are no longer available. This is due to mobile network operator’s decision not to provide the current service anymore.
Manamansalo: JAJ-Palvelut Oy (Manamansalo's camping services)
Vaala: K-Market Tervaportti
Kontiomäki: Kainuun Tähti Oy (Neste service station)
Permit terms for the areaCalendar year. Fishing is not allowed 10.6. 00:00 - 12.6. 15:00 (Angling Day 2021).
- All fishing in the area requires the Manamasalo angling permit. General fishing rights (hook and line fishing, ice fishing, lure fishing under the fisheries management fee) do not apply at this destination by decision of the Lapland ELY Centre (2280/5710/2015). The purpose of the decision is to secure the economic use of fish stocked into the area's waters.
- The permit grants the right to lure fishing (lure, fly, jig), hook and line fishing and ice fishing.
- The use of baits is permitted.
- Each angler is permitted to use one rod or line when fishing from the shore or from an anchored boat. The rod must be within the angler's reach at all times (= max. 2 metres away from the angler). When ice fishing or trolling, anglers are permitted to use two rods per angler.
- The rod must be within the angler's reach at all times (= max. 2 metres away from the angler).
- Fishing with a rental boat or flotation device is permitted in the ponds Särkinen and Iso-Peura.
Catch quotas and catch reports
|3 hour permit||1 salmonid|
|Day permit||3 salmonids|
|Week permit||2 salmonids / day|
|Salmonids||Rainbow trout, trout, whitefish, grayling|
The fisher can only catch the number of salmonids specified on the permit. Regardless of the combination of permits the angler has, they may only catch a maximum of three salmonids / day.
Catch sizes and protection periods
The following catch sizes and protection periods for fish species are in effect for this permit area:
|Fish species||Catch Size||Protection period|
|Trout with adipose fin||At least 60 cm||No protection period in this permit area|
|Trout without adipose fin||At least 50 cm||No protection period in this permit area|
|Grayling||At least 35 cm||1.4.–31.5.|
Fishers must observe the catch sizes and protection periods mandated in the Fishing Decree for other fish species.
Services in the area
Boats for fishing in Pond Särkinen may be rented from the reception of Manamansalo Camping.
Manamansalo Camping (tel. +358 8 874 138), Manamansalo Camping
During the summer season, catch-sized trout is regularly planted into Pond Iso-Peura while Pond Särkinen is
stocked with rainbow trout. The other waters of the permit area managed with fry plantings of trout, grayling
Lake Särkinen is stocked with catch-sized rainbow trout on two separate occasions in March-April.