Situated in the northeast wilderness of the municipality of Savukoski, the Nuorttijoki River empties into Lake Nuorttijärvi on the Russian side of the border. The fishing area covers all waters of the River on the Finnish side of the border up to the border zone.
Nuorttijoki offers hiking anglers approximately 150 km of pristine river and stream waters for fly fishing and casting. Nuorttijoki is also a great destination for canoeing anglers. Returning from the lower reaches of the river is only possible by coming back upstream.
Purchasing a permit
- €8 / 3 h
- €10 / day
- €35 / week
- €50 / season
All persons under 18 years of age receive a 50% discount on the permits and persons under 15years of age are allowed to share the same fishing quota, with permission from their parent or legal guardian. The family permit costs twice as much and its fishing quota is twice as large.
Where to purchase A permit
You can pay licences using the most common payment methods in the online store (verkkokauppa.eraluvat.fi).
Metsähallitus' fishing permits may also be purchased by phone. The service is open on
weekdays from 9 AM to 4 PM.
Savukoski: Kairijoki Wilderness Centre
Savukoski: Hotel Samperin Savotta
Savukoski: Tulppion Majat / Samperi Oy
Permit terms for the areaFor waters within the Urho Kekkonen National Park 1.6.–31.8. For other waters 1.6.–31.12. Trout fishing is prohibited between 1.9.–30.11.
- Each angler may use one rod or line, which must remain within the angler's reach at all times.
- The use of a bait fish in hook & line fishing, ice fishing or lure fishing is absolutely forbidden in the waters of this fishing area, as per a decree from the Finnish Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry (no. 1376/2004, 31.12.2004).
- Boats, canoes and fishing tackle (reels, rods, lures, landing nets, boots, waders, fish cleaning accessories, etc.) brought in from other waterways must be absolutely dry or they must be disinfected at a disinfection station before being used in Nuorttijoki.
- Approximately 20 km of the lower section of the river belongs to the Urho Kekkonen National Park and anglers must adhere to the park's rules and guidelines while in this area.
- The Tankavaara Visitor Centre (tel. +358 206 39 7251) on the outskirts of the Urho Kekkonen National Park offers expert guidance and provides anglers with all the information they need regarding the park's special rules.
Catch quotas and catch reports
|3 hour permit||1 salmonid|
|Day permit||3 salmonids|
|Week permi||3 salmonids / day|
|Season permit||3 salmonids / day|
There are no catch quotas for whitefish.
Catch sizes and protection periods
The following catch sizes and protection periods for fish species are in effect for this permit area:
|Fish species||Catch Size||Protection period|
|Trout||At least 50 cm||1.9.–30.11.|
|Grayling||At least 30 cm, in the main channel of Nuorttijoki River in the national park at least 35 cm||No protection period in this permit area|
Fishers must observe the catch sizes and protection periods mandated in the Fishing Decree for other fish species.
Services in the area
The area's services include several lean-to shelters, huts, cooking shelters, unlocked wilderness cabins and reservable cabins as well as the private tourism services provided by Tulppion Majat.
There is also the Nuortti Hiking Trail (40 km) for hikers.