Keihärinkoski is one of Finland's most famed trout rapids. It is situated in the Kivijärvi route and it is the route's first white-water section upstream of Keitele. Only traditional fly fishing is allowed at this destination.
The rapids' fish stock is managed with the goal of improving the living conditions of the native brown trout population. Catching sizable, naturally spawning trout is still very much possible here. Keihärinkoski is also stocked with trout of different ages that have had their adipose fins cut.
Purchasing a permit
Keihärinkoski has an angler quota of five (5) persons. Permits are not sold for the time period 1.9-30.11.
Permits become available on 11.1. 2021 at 9 a.m. Sales period of 2020 continues until 10 th of january 2021.
- Starting from 11.1. for time periods between 11.1. and 31.3. you can buy permits from web store or via our customer service number.
- Starting from 1.4 for time periods between 1.4. and 31.12. you can buy permits from web store or via our customer service number.
Reservations for entire rapids:
- Starting from 11.1 for time periods between 11.1. and 31.3. you can buy permits from web store or via our customer service number. For time periods between 1.4. and 31.12. you can buy permits only via our service number (reservations only for 24 h).
- Starting from 1.4. for time periods between 1.4. and 31.12. you can buy permits from web store or via our customer service number.
- €20 / 6 hours (permit can begin at midnight, 6 AM, noon or 6 PM)
- €25 / 12 hours (permit can begin at midnight, 6 AM, noon or 6 PM)
- €35 / 24 hours (the day permit always begins at 6 PM)
Reserving the entire rapids = reserving the entire angler quota in one go.
Reservations for groups larger than 5 persons can only be made via the Eräluvat service number.
Note! The permit prices are the same regardless of the angler's age (no youth permits).
When reserving a permit, name all the persons who are to participate in the fishing.
Where to purchase A permit
You can pay licences using the most common payment methods in the online store (verkkokauppa.eraluvat.fi).
Metsähallitus' fishing permits may also be purchased by phone. The service is open on
weekdays from 9 AM to 4 PM.
Permit terms for the area1.1–31.8. and 1.12.–31.12.
- Once you have finished fishing, you must submit a catch report at www.tuikki.fi. All caught and released fish must also be reported.
- When reserving a permit, all persons who are to participate in the fishing must be named.
- Only traditional fly fishing is allowed at this destination. Only barbless hooks and hooks with their barbs carefully flattened are allowed at Keihärinkoski.
- Since 2012, all stocked trout older than one year have had their adipose fins cut. All fish with their adipose fin intact must be returned to the water as quickly and painlessly as possible.
- Wading is prohibited between 1.12.–31.5.
- Grayling is protected between 1.4.–31.5.
Catch quotas and catch reports
|6 hour permit||1 planted salmonid (without adipose fin)|
|12 hour permit||1 planted salmonid (without adipose fin)|
|24 hour permit||2 planted salmonids (without adipose fin)|
Catch sizes and protection periods
The following catch sizes and protection periods for fish species are in effect for this permit area:
|Fish species||Catch Size||Protection period|
|Trout with adipose fin||All sizes of fish must be released||Completely protected|
|Trout without adipose fin||At least 50 cm||In rapids and running waters 1.9.–30.11.*|
|Grayling||At least 40 cm||1.4.–31.5.|
|Landlocked salmon||At least 60 cm||In rapids and running waters 1.8.–30.11.|
*During the protection period of trout fishing is not allowed in the permit area.
Fishers must observe the catch sizes and protection periods mandated in the Fishing Decree for other fish species.
Services in the area
There is a cabin on the shore of Keihärinkoski Rapids, which may be reserved from +358 44 2897797.
Current information on the discharge and water levels in Lake Muuruejärvi may be found here.
Spawn and/or fry stocking of trout and grayling. The planning and management of fish stocks at Keihärinkoski is conducted using such tools as electrofishing and counting trout spawning spots.