Syväjärvi is a clear-watered forest lake with two distinct sections that is located some 20 kilometres away from Kuhmo town centre. Both ends of the lake are deep and the shores are steep. The scenery is commanded by dry pine forests and the Syväjärvensärkkä sandbank rising on the north side of the lake. There is an easily traversed shore trail encircling the lake (approx. 6 km) with several campfire sites along the way.
Rainbow trout, which is planted into the lake catch-sized, offers thrilling angling experiences throughout the year. Syväjärvi is also an ideal fishing and hiking destination for families and groups.
Purchasing a permit
- €12 / 3 h
- €18 / day
- €90 / week
All persons under 18 years of age receive a 50% discount on the permits and persons under 15 years of age are allowed to share the same fishing quota, with permission from their parent or legal guardian. For fishers under 15 years of age who intend to fish alone, a one week's fishing permit is available free of charge at the Eräluvat online store.
A family permit is also available for this destination. In this context, a family consists of children under 18 years of age and their parents/legal guardians. Married couples and couples in a civil union may also purchase family permits. The family permit costs twice as much and its fishing quota is twice as large.
Where to purchase A permit
You can pay licences using the most common payment methods in the online store (verkkokauppa.eraluvat.fi).
Metsähallitus' fishing permits may also be purchased by phone. The service is open on
weekdays from 9 AM to 4 PM.
With the Eräluvat app, you can purchase angling permits easily and quickly. You can pay with a debit or credit card. Read the instructions for using the app.
As of 1 January 2020, mobile permits are no longer available. This is due to mobile network operator’s decision not to provide the current service anymore.
Kuhmo: Pääkkönen & Piirainen Oy (hunting and fishing store)
Kuhmo: Huoltamo Kuksa Oy (service station)
Suomussalmi: TB-Turjanhovi (service station)
Fishing permit vending machine accepts 2 Euro, 1 Euro, 50 Cent and 20 Cent coins.
Permit terms for the areaCalendar year.
- All fishing in the area requires the Syväjärvi angling permit. General fishing rights (hook and line fishing, ice fishing, lure fishing under the fisheries management fee) do not apply at this destination by decision of the Lapland ELY Centre (2280/5710/2015). The purpose of the decision is to secure the economic use of fish stocked into the area's waters.
- The permit grants the right to lure fishing (lure, fly, jig), hook and line fishing and ice fishing.
- The use of natural and artificial baits is permitted.
- Each angler is permitted to use one rod or line when fishing from the shore or from an anchored boat. The rod must be within the angler's reach at all times (= max. 2 metres away from the angler). When ice fishing or trolling without a motor, anglers are permitted to use two rods per angler.
- Fishing with a rental boat or flotation device is permitted. The use of a snowmobile or an outboard motor for fishing is prohibited (including electric outboard motors).
Catch quotas and catch reports
|3 hour permit||1 salmonid|
|Day permit||3 salmonids|
|Salmonids||Rainbow trout, whitefish, grayling|
Once you have finished fishing, you must submit a catch report at www.tuikki.fi.
The fisher can only catch the number of salmonids specified on the permit. Regardless of the combination of permits the angler has, they may only catch a maximum of three salmonids / day.
Catch sizes and protection periods
The minimum catch size of grayling is 35 cm. Grayling is protected 1 April – 31 May.
Fishers must observe the catch sizes and protection periods mandated in the Fishing Decree for other fish species.
Services in the area
Boat, sauna and caravan space rentals: Matti Kyllönen, tel. +358 40 7012144.
Cottages for rent: Lomarengas
Approx. 6 km of shore trails, lean-to, hut, campfire sites, camping and caravan area.
The best fishing spots are at the ends of the lake and near the strait in the middle.
The fish stock of Syväjärvi is maintained by planting catch-sized rainbow trout and fry-sized whitefish and grayling into the lake.