The versatile Konnuskoski Rapids roar in Leppävirta between the lakes Konnusvesi and Unnukka, steeped in the cultural landscape of Northern Savo. Along the southern shore of the rapids runs the Konnus channel, which provides a way from Lake Saimaa to Lake Kallavesi, meaning that Konnuskoski can be reached by boat even from much further away. The Konnustupa restaurant serves patrons in the summer and offers good food and drinks as well as events and theatre on the weekends.
The Konnuskoski area contains three different rapids as well as calmer sections that form an interesting and diverse rod fishing destination. Pirttikoski and the upper part of Emäkoski are ideal for fly fishing while Koivukoski is great for casting. The flowing section below the rapids is a popular destination for motorless trolling. The fish stocks at Konnuskoski are based on both fry stockings and natural reproduction and the most sought after fish at the rapids are trout and pike-perch. However, your lure might also find its way into the jaws of a grayling, pike or perch.
We welcome you to experience the unforgettable fishing atmosphere of Konnuskoski and the beautiful cultural landscape of Savo.
Purchasing a permit
- €15 / 6 hours
- €20 / 12 hours
- €25 / day
- €80 / week
- €180 / season
All persons under 18 years of age receive a 50% discount on the permits and persons under 15 years of age are allowed to share one fishing quota, with permission from their parent or legal guardian.
Where can you purchase A permit?
You can pay licences using the most common payment methods in the online store (verkkokauppa.eraluvat.fi).
Metsähallitus' fishing licences may also be purchased by phone. The service is open on
weekdays from 9 AM to 4 PM.
As of 1 January 2020, mobile permits are no longer available. This is due to mobile network operator’s decision not to provide the current service anymore.
Neste Leppävirta (service station)
- Several remaining
- Less than 5 left
- Out of stock
Permit terms for the area1.1.–31.8. and 1.12.–31.12.
- The permit grants the right to lure fishing (lure, fly, jig). Barbless hooks are recommended.
- All fishing in the area requires the Konnuskoski angling permit (7591). General fishing rights (hook and line fishing, ice fishing, lure fishing under the fisheries management fee) do not apply at this destination by decision of the North Savo ELY Centre (POSELY/659/5710/2017). The purpose of the decision is to secure the economic use of fish stocked into the waters of the area.
- The use of natural baits, bait pastes and silicone balls is prohibited.
- Each angler may use one rod or line, which must remain within the angler's reach at all times.
- When trolling without a motor, each angler is allowed 2 rods or lines.
- Using a motor for trolling is prohibited.
- Note! Wading is forbidden in Pirttikoski and the submerged dam of Emäkoski between 1.12.–31.5. Trout has been found to reproduce naturally in Konnuskoski and this wading ban is in place to ensure the survival of roe and fry.
Catch quotas and catch reports
- 6 hours / 1 salmonid
- 12 hours / 2 salmonids
- Day / 3 salmonids
- Week / 2 salmonids per day
- Season / 2 salmonids per day
There is no catch quota for whitefish.
Once you have finished fishing, you must submit a catch report at www.tuikki.fi. All caught and released fish must also be reported.
Catch sizes and protection periods
The following catch sizes and protection periods for fish species are in effect for this permit area:
|Fish species||Catch size||Protection period|
|Landlocked salmon without adipose fin||At least 60 cm||1.8.–30.11.|
|Brown trout without adipose fin||At least 50 cm||1.9.–30.11.|
|Grayling||At least 35 cm||1.4.–31.5. In other times Metsähallitus recommends releasing all caught grayling.|
|Pike-perch||At least 42 cm||No protection period|
|Landlocked salmon with adipose fin||All sizes of fish must be released||Protected throughout the year|
|Native brown trout with adipose fin||All sizes of fish must be released||Protected throughout the year|
Fishers must observe the catch sizes and protection periods mandated in the Fishing Decree for other fish species.
Services in the area
A lean-to shelter, campfire site and boat launch ramp. The Konnustupa summer restaurant also offers its services nearby.
Fry stocking of brown trout. All stocked trout have had their adipose fins cut off. A submerged dam has been built in Emäkoski and spawning areas has been built in Pirttikoski in the autumn of 2018.
Current information on the water discharge levels in Konnuskoski may be found here.