Lake Inarijärvi 1580
Lake Inarijärvi is a great destination especially for trolling enthusiasts and anglers looking to catch some grayling. Trout and char should be looked for near the sharply deepening shores with the help of a fishfinder and a nautical chart. Grayling is spread across the entire lake. The best grayling spots are the rocky shallows near the shores and the surroundings of the lake's numerous islands. Grayling is most often found at depths of under 2 metres.
Whitefish is a common catch when fly fishing, although it can also be tricked with a spinner. The perch stock of the southern part of Lake Inarijärvi has grown stronger in recent years. The best ice fishing spots are located in Jokisuunselkä where the perch waters begin a few hundred metres out of the Veskoniemi fish harbour. Char can be pulled out of the ice anywhere on the lake. When trying to catch char, it is best to fish in relatively deep waters (at depths of 10 to 20 metres).
Purchasing a permit
- €8 / 3 hours
- €10 / day
- €35 / week
- €50 / calendar year
All persons under 18 years of age receive a 50 % discount on the permits.
Persons under 15 years of age are allowed to share the same fishing quota, with the permission of their parent or legal guardian. For fishers under 15 years of age who intend to fish alone, a one week's fishing permit is available free of charge at the Eräluvat online store.
A family permit is also available for this destination. In this context, a family consists of children under 18 years of age and their parents/legal guardians. Married couples and couples in a civil union may also purchase family permits. The family permit costs twice as much and its fishing quota is twice as large.
Where to purchase A permit
You can pay licences using the most common payment methods in the online store (verkkokauppa.eraluvat.fi).
Metsähallitus' fishing permits may also be purchased by phone. The service is open on
weekdays from 9 AM to 4 PM.
Sodankylä: Urheilu Harjus Sportia (sporting goods store)
Saariselkä: Customer Service Kiehinen (nationalparks.fi)
Kaamanen: Kaamasen Kievari (restaurant)
Permit terms for the areaCalendar year.
- Once you have finished fishing, you must submit a catch report at www.tuikki.fi. All caught and released fish must also be reported.
- The use of a bait fish in hook & line fishing, ice fishing or lure fishing is absolutely forbidden in the municipalities of Upper Lapland (Inari, Utsjoki, Enontekiö) as per a Decree from the Ministry of Agriculture and Forestry (no. 1376/2004, 31.12.2004).
- By decision of the Inari Fishing Area all fishing is prohibited between 1.9.–30.11. in the Nuoransuuselkä area marked on the permit map.
- As per decision of the Inari Fishing Area, to protect spawning, Arctic char (salvelinus alpinus) is protected in the Inari municipality and in Lake Inarinjärvi between 15 September and 30 November. More information on the fishing regulations of the Inari Fishing Area is available at http://www.inarinkalastusalue.fi/
- Before fishing in waters that run into the Arctic Ocean, one must disinfect all fishing gear to prevent the spreading of the parasite gyrodactylys salaris.
- Fishing gear brought in from outside of Ylä-Lappi (Upper Lapland) must be absolutely dry as they arrive or they must be disinfected at a disinfection station.
- Disinfection stations: There are 15 permit vendors with a disinfection station in the Tenojoki area. In Inari the station is situated in the fish harbour.
Catch quotas and catch reports
- 3 salmonids / day
- Salmonids: trout, arctic char, landlocked salmon
- Char is protected between 15.9.–30.11.
Starting in 2020, catch reports for this permit area are submitted by answering a fishing survey conducted by Metsähallitus and Natural Resources Institute Finland. You can access the survey via your Eräluvat web shop customer account (section Order history). You will also receive a reminder to answer the survey via email.
Catch sizes and protection periods
- The following catch sizes and protection periods for fish species are in effect for this permit area:
|Fish species||Catch size||Protection period|
|Trout||At least 50 cm||No protection period in this permit area|
|Grayling||At least 30 cm||No protection period in this permit area|
|Landlocked salmon||At least 60 cm||No protection period in this permit area|
|Arctic char||At least 45 cm||15.9.–30.11.|
|Lake trout||At least 40 cm||No protection period|
Fishers must observe the catch sizes and protection periods mandated in the Fishing Decree for other fish species.
Services in the area
The lake has two rental cabins and several wilderness cabins and campfire sites. In the winter there are marked snowmobile trails. The lake also has great sights such as Ukonkivi (Ukko's Rock), Hautuumaasaari Island and the Korkia-Maura Ice Cave.
Other services in the area: